- DISTRICT COUNCILS
- TEIGNBRIDGE DISTRICT COUNCIL
- Work Location
- Occupational group
- Management & Senior Management
- Salary details
- £51,798 - £57,546 per annum
- Job term
- Appointment type
- Full Time
- 37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- 08 December 2020
- Interview date
- 15 December 2020
Our Vision: Making Teignbridge a healthy and desirable place where people want to live, work and visit.
Our Values: Communicative, Respected, Purposeful Conscientious
Devon building Control Partnership (DBCP), hosted by Teignbridge District Council, delivers the building control service on behalf of its three partner authorities, Teignbridge, South Hams and West Devon councils. Its geographical area covers much of South and West Devon and includes almost the whole of Dartmoor National Park.
The area has a diverse mix of coastline, rolling countryside, seaside resorts such as Dawlish, Dartmouth and Salcombe, towns such as Newton Abbot, Totnes, Tavistock and Okehampton, many villages, rivers, lakes and high moorland. Together with its mild climate this makes the area a great place to work and live.
DBCP serves a population of close to 280,000. It has currently 24 staff dealing with a mix of mostly low-rise domestic and commercial developments. Although covering large rural areas many of its towns and some villages include significant developments with a total number of potential new dwellings exceeding 1000 per year. It has an annual budget of around £1.4m.
For this role:
What you'll be doing
leading the Devon Building Control Partnership Shared Service and enable its future development, looking both internally across services and outwards to partners and customers to ensure it continues to develop as an effective and efficient customer-focused service that embraces and delivers innovation, commercial opportunities, value-for-money, a culture of learning and professionalism, and new ways of working.
You will lead the service in responding and successfully adapting to the imminent changes to the building regulations, the Building Act and the Building Safety Bill.
Who we're looking for someone with experience of:
- Working at a senior level in Local Authority building control and/or a commercial environment,
- Policy development and implementation,
- Developing successful customer centric services,
- Developing and leading the implementation of new models and approaches to working and change.
To be successful in this role you will need:
- An ability to meet financial and performance targets
- An ability to successfully develop and maintain relationships, both internally and externally,
- An ability to inspire, motivate and engage colleagues to work to a shared vision
- High-level negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to make sound and timely decisions and implement effective solutions
- High-levels of self-awareness and emotional intelligence, outstanding communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to flex leadership and communications styles to inspire and motivate a range of people in differing situations
- Clear drive to identify business and income generating opportunities.
- Commitment to corporate working and taking responsibility for the direction and performance of the service as a whole.
- An ability to work in partnership across organisational boundaries
- An ability to give effective advice to, and manage relationships with external customers and Elected Members
We value our staff and offer an excellent working environment, employee rewards and benefits include;
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Generous Annual Leave
- Family Friendly Leave, Pay and Working Arrangements
- Childcare Vouchers
- Discounted Gym Membership at Teignbridge District Council Leisure Centres
- Cycle Scheme
- Career Development through Professional Learning and Development
As an accredited Investor in People and a Disability Confident Employer, we value diversity and celebrate individuality across our workforce. We are committed to equal opportunities in employment and service provision and are only interested in your ability to do the job.
DBS Checks -Teignbridge District Council complies fully with the DBS code of practice and undertakes to treat all applicants for positions fairly. If a position is included in the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order, the Council uses criminal record checks processed through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) to assess and individual’s suitability for the post.
Data protection -The organisation processes information about an individual's criminal convictions in accordance with its data protection policy / policy on processing special categories of personal data. In particular, data collected during recruitment is held securely and accessed by, and disclosed to, individuals only for the purposes of completing the recruitment process as per the General Data Protection Regulation.
The organisation is also committed to going through the proper DBS channels to establish whether or not an individual has a criminal record. The organisation will not require job applicants or existing employees to use their subject access rights under data protection provisions to provide criminal record details.
All information is processed in line with the General Data Protection Regulation
Safeguarding Commitment -Teignbridge District Council will comply with its legal obligations in relation to recruiting people to work with children/vulnerable adults.
Please read the full Job Description and Person Specification to inform your application and supporting statement.
For an informal discussion please contact Andrew Carpenter on 01626 215721 or email email@example.com.