About the role
We are looking to appoint an outstanding Vocational Instructor with focus on Learning Outside of the Classroom.
Our ideal candidate will have excellent teamwork and communication skills, boundless patience and resilience and the ability and enthusiasm to make a difference with pupils who have a range of social, emotional and mental health needs. We are looking for people who embody the Trust’s values; people who have diverse experiences, as well as a passion for working with young people with additional needs.
Glendinning Academy is part of Wave Multi Academy Trust and is located in Newton Abbot in Devon. It caters for pupils that are working at or around age equivalent expectations and have a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum condition (ASC), anxiety or Speech Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).
For a full list of duties, please see the job description.
Wave is dedicated to the safeguarding of children and Safer Recruitment Procedures will be followed. The position requires a satisfactory enhanced DBS check and online check.
About the Academy
Glendinning Academy is a 120 place Special School for children aged from 7 to 19 with social interaction and communication needs including those on the Autism Spectrum. The academy opened in 2019 and will have grown to 120 pupils and associated staff by Sep 2022.
Pupils have Education, Health and Care Plans with primary needs of Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC) or Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).
Glendinning Academy provides a personalised supportive environment. Pupils have opportunities to use outdoor learning to access the National Curriculum, developing communication, interaction, social and emotional skills. Working in partnership with pupils, and their parents/carers the academy supports pupils academically and in their journey to independence. These partnerships play a vital role in ensuring pupils enjoy, succeed and achieve.
Work for Wave: What’s in it for you?
- Pension Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Occupational Health Services
- Professional Development & Training
- Salary depending on experience
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Tech Scheme
- Free Will Writing Benefit
- Health & Wellbeing Champion
- Company sick pay dependent on service
- Free refreshments in workplace
Wave Trust: What we believe and what we do
Who We Are
Wave are an established and successful Multi Academy Trust, comprising of Alternative Provision Academies (APAs), Medical Academies (including Cornwall Partnership NHS Foundation Trust’s child and adolescent mental health unit ‘Sowenna’) and a Special Academy.
We provide education for vulnerable pupils aged 4 – 19 across Devon and Cornwall. The Trust has a national reputation for the delivery of outstanding pupil outcomes including enabling pupils to access the most appropriate education setting and transition to employment, training and higher or further education. The Trust educates over 1000 pupils and employs over 350 members of staff.
We Aim To
- Provide a balanced and broad curriculum that promotes the spiritual, moral, cultural, mental and physical development of pupils and prepares them for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
- Give access to the National Curriculum; provide opportunities for external accreditation, and, for those pupils with specific learning difficulties, effective and personalised programmes.
- Ensure all pupils are supported to develop positive attitudes towards themselves and others. Promoting emotional well-being and self-esteem; helping our pupils to recognise their potential and work positively within their community.
- We will respect all pupils and encourage them to become active participants in their own learning, develop confidence, independence, self-esteem and express their needs and desires.
- Seek effective and positive working relationships with pupils’ families, schools and other agencies.
- Enable effective outcomes for our pupils.
Evidence shows that the values we embody empower young people to succeed; these are the values we are looking for when we recruit new staff or work with new stakeholders.
BE POSITIVE We value positivity, no matter what the circumstances. It is our intention to stay constructive, optimistic and confident both for and with our young people and their families.
HAVE EMPATHY We are kind, we have empathy. We consider the consequences of our decisions, large and small on those around us.
SHOW RESPECT We conduct ourselves in ways that earn the trust of those around us. We respect each other and those we work with.
WORK AS ONE TEAM We depend on teamwork and the relationships we have. When we work together we are stronger. Together we will achieve more.
BE INCLUSIVE Everybody is treated fairly and equally; no-one is marginalised or left behind. We are inclusive, we embrace the human spirit. We value diversity of people and thought.
To apply please use our application form available on our website, Working for Wave Multi Academy Trust - Wave MAT. We may close this vacancy early as we review applications as they are received, to ensure you are considered for this role please do not wait for the deadline to submit your application.
Please apply by midday on the closing date.
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationTeignbridgeDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEducation Support
- Salary Details
NJC 22 - 27 £31,364 - £35,745 FTE (Actual salary £26,744 - £30,480.22 per annum)
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull TimeTerm Time
37 hours per week, term time only
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required