Trading Standards Officers 2 Posts Available - E or F Grade (Either post could be appointed on either grade - dependent on the skills/experience/qualifications of the candidate.)
The Heart of the South West Trading Standards Service is looking to recruit a number of Trading Standards Officers with at least two years experience working for a Trading Standards Service to vacancies in both its Intelligence and investigations (I&I) and Business Support and Innovation (BSI) teams.
The Service is jointly commissioned by Devon, Plymouth, Somerset and Torbay Local Authorities and is one of the largest Trading Standards Services in the Country. We cover 2 coastlines, Dartmoor & Exmoor National Parks and multiple areas of outstanding natural beauty. Also, the cathedral city of Exeter, historic port of Plymouth, County town of Taunton and the ‘English Riviera’ in Torbay.
The Service undertakes a broad range of regulated activities essential to the economy and public safety. We strive for innovation in our approach to regulation and Service delivery, providing excellent customer service and a great place to work.
The I&I Team focusses on tackling the more serious criminality impacting consumers and businesses across our area all areas of trading standards legislation, including utilising Fraud Act and Proceeds of Crime Act when appropriate. Our priorities in the coming year include tackling rogue traders, unfair practices within the motor trade and illicit tobacco. If you have drive, enthusiasm and an innovative approach to disrupting such practices and a proven track record for completing timely investigations this could be the role for you.
The BSI Team has a responsibility for delivering excellent regulatory support, including our BWC, Primary Authority and Laboratory services. We also focus on advice and guidance to our rural community, delivering pioneering projects such as our Mental Health in farming webinar programme and our recent nationally recognised work on allergens. The BSI team is also the home of our market surveillance and scams delivery, creating innovative solutions to protect our most vulnerable consumers.
The Heart of the South West Trading Standards Service is able to offer flexible/hybrid working to meet service need and the roles can be performed within agreed flexible hours, with a combination of home and office working.
The Service has offices in Plymouth, Torbay, Kingsteignton, Exeter, Barnstaple and Wellington.
There is an expectation that you would be available to attend some meetings in person, and as we cover a large geographical area some travel is to be expected.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon.
- The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- This role requires a DBS disclosure.
For more information on the posts contact Ben Newell BSI Team Manager (01392 381266) or Richard Matthews I&I Team Manager (01392) 386475.
Closing Date: 28th June 2022
Anticipated Interview dates: w/c 11th July 2022
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterPlymouthSomersetTorbayDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupLegal/Trading Standards
- Salary Details
Grade E (SCP 16 £24,432 to SCP 22 £27,514) and Grade F (SCP 24 £29,174 to SCP 28 £32,798). Relocation of up to £4,500 may be available dependant on experience.
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required