Are you looking for a meaningful career?
Do you want to be part of an exciting new school community?
We are currently recruiting enthusiastic and reliable teaching assistants to join our passionate and nurturing team, here at Acorn School in Winkleigh.
This position would suit a flexible and caring individual who aspires to working in a vibrant specialist school where every student is supported to overcome their special educational needs through a child centred and personalised approach.
This is a unique opportunity to work within a truly therapeutic environment where our dedicated in-house therapy team work seamlessly with education staff to provide meaningful packages of support that enables children and young people to reach their individual potential.
If you think that you have the skills and determination to support our students and further develop our stimulating learning environment, we would like to hear from you.
Acorn is an independent co-educational school which provides learning and supportive learning environment for students from Key Stage 2-4 with Social, Emotional, Mental Health difficulties, Autism Spectrum Condition and/or Specific Learning Difficulties.
Acorn School achieved an OSFTED Good rating on its recent full inspection. The inspectors quoted; “Staff skilfully help pupils to settle and find their feet. The staff are caring, this is a happy school, staff and pupils share much humour. They work and relax together”. Pupils told us they like the School because they feel understood and appreciated ‘for who they are’.
• To support teachers to deliver a bespoke curriculum which is tailored to the needs of our students;
• To create and maintain a purposeful, orderly and supportive environment, in accordance with lesson plans and assist with the display of student’s work;
• To use strategies, in liaison with the teacher, to support students to achieve learning goals;
• To assist with the planning of learning activities;
• To monitor student’s responses to learning activities and accurately record achievement / progress as directed;
• To provide detailed and regular feedback to teachers on student’s achievement, progress, problems etc;
• To promote good student behaviour, dealing effectively with conflict and incidents in line with established policies and encourage students and where appropriate to take responsibility for their own behaviour;
•To develop a sound understanding of safeguarding procedures and work collaboratively to safeguard our students;
• To encourage student participation, involvement and personal fulfilment by supporting an individualised curriculum with stimulating and interesting tasks within an agreed program of activities;
• To lead on an area of curriculum and/or school development. (please share any particular areas of strength in your application and if invited to interview).
• To working with students, both inside and outside the classroom in small groups or 1:1 sessions.
Skills and Requirements:
• To hold knowledge of the importance of effective safeguarding;
• To demonstrate ability to support the delivery of high-quality lessons, tailored to the needs of individual students and small groups;
• To demonstrate an understanding of the needs of children special educational needs, including skills in managing behaviours that challenge;
• To demonstrate a desire/experience of working with SEND children and the ability to build positive relationships with students and families;
• To demonstrate flexibility and resilience to adapt to the ever-changing needs of our students;
• To demonstrate a commitment to improving outcomes for our students and celebrating their successes;
• To be consistent and reliable, offering reassurance to students at times of need.
Not only will you have the privilege of working with wonderful Young People and fantastic colleagues, as part of Phoenix Learning and Care Group you will be entitled to the following benefits:
• Employee Pension Scheme
• Employee benefits through Sodexo including High street and Supermarket vouchers, free eye testing, holiday, cinema and restaurant meal discounts
• Blue Light Card (Emergency Services, NHS and social care worker card for substantial discounts from retailers)
• Fully Paid Holiday allowance
• Employee Assistance programme provided via Health Assured for free counselling and advice for you or family members
• Fully paid classroom based induction with extensive ongoing training programs
• Aid in obtaining extra qualifications and upskilling
• Internal progression
If you would like to come and visit the school to meet the team and find out more, please contact Wendy Miles by emailing email@example.com
Successful applicants will be subject to pre-employment checks including an enhanced disclosure and barring service (DBS) check.
For further information and to apply please visit Phoenix Learning & Care Careers (phoenixlearningcarecareers.co.uk)
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationWest DevonMid DevonDevonTorridge
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEducation Support
- Salary Details
£17,526 - £18,905 per annum
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeTerm Time
Full time and part time hours of 32 per week worked over 4 days available.
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required