The Catch22 Multi Academies Trust is the vehicle for our sponsorship of an expanding number of academies focusing on learners who can benefit from small, supportive alternative education provision.
Catch22 exists to help build a society where everyone has a good place to live, good people around them and a fulfilling purpose. We call these our '3Ps'.
The Burton Academy is a specialist provision that offers full time education and therapeutic support to 56 children aged 12 to 16 years old. Pupils are referred to the Academy by the Local Authority as part of their duties to arrange SEN provision.
Reports to: Headteacher
In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the management of our academy premises to ensure that they provide a safe and secure environment for everybody. In addition, the premises should provide an environment which actively supports the process of learning.
Main Duties and Accountabilities
- Maintain the security of the premises by opening and closing premises, to monitor CCTV equipment where appropriate, repairing external doors, latches and fences to maintain a safe environment, operate and respond to alarm systems when appropriate, liaise with police, security and surveillance contractors and provide emergency access to the Academy site when required;
- Undertake general repairs and maintenance around the site, inside and out, including changing light bulbs, clock batteries, door locks, woodwork, decorating, to ensure a safe environment is maintained;
- Maintain adequate supplies of materials and supplies (bulbs, batteries, paint, ceiling tiles etc) re-ordering when needed via the School Administration team, to meet the establishment needs;
- Maintain the appropriate storage of materials and equipment and follow the appropriate control systems for all stock items to facilitate the efficient operation of site maintenance, repairs and safety work;
- Liaise with cleaning contractors to ensure cleaning of the Academy is in accordance with specification and ensure a clean and tidy environment is maintained at all times;
- Ensure outside areas are kept free from litter, sweeping leaves, emptying bins, gritting, grass cutting and hedge trimming etc, to maintain a clean and tidy environment;
- To be responsible for preventative planned maintenance programme in respect of buildings etc and grounds and ensure repairs are carried out satisfactorily;
- To operate and maintain heating plant, cooling and lighting systems;
- To maintain Academy vehicles and supervise servicing and repairs as well as monitor vehicle documentation including MOT certificates and log books;
- To address faulty equipment and other maintenance requirements by organising and supervising repair and replacement within budgetary constraints;
- To undertake regular site inspections and identify defects and record repair and maintenance requirements;
- To advise on matters relating to energy control and conservation;
- To contribute to planning, development and organisation of systems/procedures/policies and building development;
- To undertake safety audits of premises and develop relevant Risk Assessments as required;
- To be responsible for maintaining records, information and data, producing analysis and reposts as required;
- To support the Headteacher in the supervision of contractors undertaking work on the Academy premises;
- To support the Headteacher and take the day-to-day responsibility for Health and Safety as it applies to the premises and premises staff;
- To support the Headteacher in ensuring that all the annual statutory maintenance requirements are carried out throughout the year including weekly checks of the fire alarm system;
- On a daily basis, ensure the safety of the site through the term and during the Academy closure periods to minimise the possibility of theft and vandalism and to maintain the fabric of the buildings;
- Undertake porter duties as required including the setting up of furniture and other equipment for planned activities;
- To be available to deal with any emergency at all times and to be a nominated key holder for the fire/security alarms, 24 hours/7 days per week;
- Undertake any duties as circumstances require, or at the reasonable request of the Headteacher or extended Leadership Team;
- Complete all required documentation accurately and within agreed timescales to ensure that contract requirements are met;
- This post may involve occasional travel outside of your base area;
- This post may involve some evening and weekend work;
- This post requires an enhanced DBS;
- All holidays will need to be taken during school holidays;
- To accurately complete all relevant paperwork in line with company procedures;
- Ensure that you read, are familiar with and follow all of Catch22’s policies and procedures and ensure that you update yourself with any new or amended policies or procedures as and when necessary;
- To take line management direction from line manager;
- To act as an ambassador for Catch22, upholding and promoting our corporate values and to communicate possible opportunities for Catch22 service growth to line manager;
- To undertake internal and external training as agreed with line manager and show commitment towards continuing professional development;
- To undertake any other duties that can be reasonably expected of you within your job grade.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Proven experience of working within the area of premises/site management;
- Able to communicate clearly both orally and in writing;
- Has demonstrated the ability to take the initiative, work independently and be able to accept responsibility;
- Willing to contribute to the overall development of the school in a positive and committed way;
- Committed to the professional development of themselves and others within the team;
- Prepared to be flexible with regard to working hours;
- Has the ability to relate to a wide range of young people, staff and adults who work or visit the school.
See the benefits of working for Catch22 here.
Catch22 MAT is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff, volunteers and other third parties to share this commitment. Safer recruitment practice will be followed and pre-employment background checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. The post is subject to an enhanced DBS check.
At Catch22, we value equality, diversity and inclusion. We are wholeheartedly committed to the principle of equality of opportunity, both as an employer and as a provider of services. Diversity and Inclusion is part of what we do every day, working to deliver our vision to build a strong society where everyone has good people around them, a purpose and a good place to live.
Unless otherwise stated, interviews will be arranged as suitable candidates are identified, so early application is strongly advised.
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationTorbayDevonTorquay
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEducation SupportManual (Caretaking/Cleaning/Driving/Catering/
- Salary Details
Zone 3 Grade D £20,319 - £27,939
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week, 52 weeks per annum
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required