Work times for this post will be set in negotiation with the successful candidate to be either at the start or the end of the day. The school needs to be unlocked at 7am and locked up at 7.30pm during term time. We are looking for the successful candidate to take part in the recruitment of a part time caretaker to have responsibility for either unlocking or locking up, dependent on the hours arranged for the site manager. Initially, we would hope that the successful candidate can cover the caretaking post in the short term.
Dependent on final hours agreed upon, there may be a need for some flexibility with hours to undertake management and supervisory responsibilities with the rest of the premises team.
The governors are looking for a Site Manager to become an integral part of our team in a large, thriving primary school in Teignmouth. You will be self-motivated, understand the connection between the role and positive outcomes for children as well as the impact it has on our whole school community. You will be keen to demonstrate a sense of pride in the buildings and grounds to maintain and improve them for the benefit of everyone using the facilities.
The school is moving away from the caretaker and cleaners being managed by an external contractor to employ a site manager and cleaning team ourselves. You will work alongside the School Business Manager, Headteacher and Leadership Team to ensure the site and grounds are safe and in great condition.
The key purpose of this role is to:
• Be responsible for the effective management, maintenance and development of the school’s buildings and grounds;
• Ensure buildings and grounds related Health and Safety systems and procedures are in place;
• Lead and manage the School Cleaning Team, including stepping in to provide cover when required;
• Lead and manage the caretaker responsible for end of day site security.
• Be self-motivated and hard-working, with a sense of purpose;
• Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and communication skills, being able to manage a team as well as relate to children, parents and staff;
• Have practical skills relevant to the role, be able to work efficiently and methodically and support others in doing the same;
• Be able to plan ahead, manage workload and ensure safe operation of the site and grounds;
• Have an understanding of the Health and Safety responsibilities of the role, including all statutory checks such as Legionella and Fire Safety and accurate recording of the data;
• Be confident in your knowledge to liaise with contractors and obtain quotes for minor building works;
• Be physically able to meet the practical demands of the role;
• Have a good understanding of building and grounds maintenance and improvement.
There may be occasional alterations to hours, by negotiation, for special events.
If you are interested in this role and would like to discuss the position further, or visit the school for a tour and more information, please contact the school office on 01626 772901.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Please download the application form below and, once completed, return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply by 9am on the closing date.
- OrganisationDevon County Schools
- Work LocationTeignbridgeDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupManagement & Senior ManagementManual (Caretaking/Cleaning/Driving/Catering/
- Salary Details
£15.12 - £17.00 per hour
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
30 hours per week, 52 weeks per annum
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required