Work Location: County Hall, Topsham Road, Exeter, EX2 4QD (remote working available)
Devon County Council is seeking an experienced and motivated Adult Social Care Lawyer to join a specialist Adult Social Care Legal team within Legal Services.
About the Role
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a team of specialist Court of Protection lawyers holding a high-quality and varied caseload.
The role includes day to day management of a caseload comprising predominantly of s16 and s21A challenges before the Court of Protection, from pre-proceedings to final hearing.
In addition, the role includes the provision of high-quality (and often urgent) legal advice to clients on a wide range of Adult Social Care matters relating to the Mental Capacity Act, Care Act and Mental Health Act. The team also regularly advises on a range of other matters including Ordinary Residence disputes. ,
We’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running so experience in Adult Social Care law is essential.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication, analytical and drafting skills and be willing to undertake advocacy at the appropriate level.
You will be a practising solicitor, barrister or Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Legal Executives, and have demonstrable post-qualification legal experience in Adult Social Care law (as an essential). Local Government experience is desirable but not essential.
You will be committed to keeping up to date on evolving caselaw and occasionally may be required to arrange and/or participate in training events and support workforce development.
You will have an keen interest in being part of a motivated and committed, specialist legal team.
What we can offer you
Aside from the fulfilling day-to-day job, you'll benefit from our pension scheme and Employee Assistance Programme. You'll be living and working in one of the most beautiful parts of country with the option to work from home when suitable. There are development opportunities in this role and potential to increase your annual leave based on years of service.
Above all, you will be supported by colleagues with a wealth of knowledge and experience to draw from, not just from within the legal team, but also from across the departments it serves.
- 22 days' paid annual leave (rising with length of service), plus bank holidays and three additional days over the Christmas Period
- Access to the attractive Local Government Pension Scheme
- Flexible working opportunities, including flexitime and homeworking opportunities (when suitable)
- Personal development opportunities
- Access to the Employment Assistance Programme and Devon Discounts schemes
Devon is one of the largest counties in the UK, and the only one to have two coastlines. It has a wonderful variety of landscapes and activities to enjoy, and has good transport links to the rest of the country. Whatever your interests, Devon has something for everyone.
As a place to live and work, Devon is hard to beat Living and working in Devon as a Lawyer has never been more attractive, and we’re offering a relocation package with this post.
To find out more about our legal services, working for the council and why relocate to Devon, please go to https://new.devon.gov.uk/workingfordevon/work-in/professional-and-support-roles/legal-services/
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- This role requires a DBS disclosure.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupLegal/Trading Standards
- Salary Details
£44,624 - £48,678 per annum (pending the 2022/23 pay award) (plus an attractive relocation package of up to £5,000)
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required