To be responsible for the security and maintenance of archived registers relating to births, deaths, marriages and civil partnerships in Devon, dating back to 1837, on behalf of the County Superintendent Registrar. To issue certificates from archived registers and deal with customer orders and enquiries. To administer corrections to registers as directed by the General Register Office. To liaise with various internal and external partners including the members of the public, Police, the General Register Office, Social Services and other Registration districts.
Main duties and responsibilities:
•To take daily responsibility for the security of stock and archived registers dating back to 1837 on behalf of the County Superintendent Registrar.
•To assist members of the public wishing to obtain copy certificates and issue general advice concerning archived records.
•To prioritise orders received via the online system, by telephone and by post. To issue certificates in a timely manner and inline with General Register office guidance and service level agreements.
•To ensure data protection policies are adhered to when dealing with sensitive information (such as requests from social service and the police).
•To use service specific IT applications including Zipporah, RON(registration online) and Civica.
•To maintain a daily cashbook and stock sheet.
•To adhere to retention policies for documents as set by the General Register Office.
•To administer corrections to registers, re-registration applications and adoption requests as per instructions from the General Register Office.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- This role requires a DBS disclosure.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupAdministrative, Secretarial & Office Support
- Salary Details
£20,44 - £22,571 per annum, pro rata
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypePart Time
22.5 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required