Principal Ecologist Biodiversity Net Gain (Ref 4795)
- Multiple Locations
- Full Time
- £35,411 - £39,493 per annum
Principal Ecologist - Biodiversity Net Gain
Devon Local Authorities (hosted by Devon County Council)
Permanent, full time position (secondments may be considered)
Salary: £35,411 - £39,493 (2023 pay award pending)
An exciting opportunity to work at the heart of Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) development and delivery in a beautiful and ecologically diverse county.
This post is jointly funded by the majority of Devon Local Authorities (including Devon County Council, Districts, Unitaries and two National Parks) with the aim of developing a consistent approach to BNG across Devon and maximising benefits for nature. The post is hosted by Devon County Council’s Ecology Team which is based at County Hall, Exeter. However the successful candidate will be working across all Local Authorities involved.
Kay areas of work are to:
- Provide BNG advice to Local Authorities as Planning Authorities, developers and landowners/managers.
- Work with Local Planning Authorities, developers, BNG facilitators and providers to update the Devon BNG Guidance (covering local plan policies, habitat banks, BNG Management and Monitoring Plans, template legal agreements and mapping) and ensure that it is clearly communicated to all involved.
- Provide BNG input / assessment of planning applications as well as general ecological advice on infrastructure schemes, planning applications and Local Plans as required.
- Contribute to national discussions on BNG, including through the PAS BNG network.
- Provide training on BNG and other related issues.
- Input to the Local Nature Recovery Strategy to ensure that links to BNG are made.
The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience of wildlife and planning in the UK, including: BNG, legislation and policy, planning conditions and legal agreements, wildlife surveys and impact assessments, habitat creation and management, condition and compliance monitoring, EPS and HRA.
Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential along with, a proactive approach, the ability to prioritise, an enthusiasm for working with a wide range of partners and the ability to negotiate positive outcomes for wildlife in potentially contentious situations. A passion for communicating complex technical issues in plain english to a wide range of audiences is critical.
The post is offered on a full-time basis, but flexible working arrangements can be discussed. Site visits across Devon and a regular presence in the Local Authority offices will be required with a weekly presence at County Hall.
For more information (including benefits of working for DCC such as local government pension, holidays, flexible working arrangements) please see Working for Devon.
Closing date: Wednesday 14th June
Interview date on Teams: Thursday 22nd June
For an informal discussion please contact Sarah Jennings, County Ecologist on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07967 456361.
Please click Apply Now to see the Job Description.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working -The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEnvironment, Conservation & Waste
- Salary Details
£35,411 - £39,493 per annum
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required