This post is fixed term for one year.
SPACE is an ambitious and innovative charity, driven by our values and seeking to support even more young people by developing current and new services. Our employees strive to achieve the best they can and must be committed to seeing the best in others. We value everyone's contribution and create safe spaces for exploration and growth.
Do you want to help us unlock potential with young people and their communities? Do you love a challenge?
We have an exciting opportunity for the successful candidate to learn youth work skills and have the opportunity to develop good employability skills and work experience.
You must be committed to creating a fun environment and willing to research, share and deliver engaging activities for young people aged 11 plus. Do you have good listening skills, a positive outlook and are willing to try new things and learn from experience? If yes, then this is a fantastic post that will encourage you to recognise your own potential and help shape your future prospects.
What is the role?
● Working evening sessions at a Space Youth Centre
● Learning about workplace policy and procedures
● Working collaboratively with Peer Educators across Devon
● Promoting the voice and influence of young people
● Supporting young people's volunteering
● Promoting accreditation and supporting young people to achieve
● Creating and having fun
Who we’re looking for
16 to 21 and interested in gaining youth work skills
● Communicating with people – including people you don’t know
● Working well together – supporting your team
● Creative and skilful - having ideas and trying new things
● Organised and thoughtful - positive work ethic
As part of our ambitions to improve equality and diversity, we would particularly welcome applications for this role from those who identify under any of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010, which include race, age, disability, gender, religion or belief, and sexual orientation.
What we offer
● Annual leave: 6 weeks for the first 5 years then increased to 7 weeks (pro-rata’d for part-time roles)
● Additional 3 Statutory days given between Christmas and new year plus bank holidays
● Pension contributions starting at 6% rising to 8% in the third year
● Employee assistance programme 24/7
● Casual dress code
● Social occasions
● Continuous Professional Development: Formal and informal training opportunities
● Enhanced sick pay
● Trained wellbeing champions available for a chat
● Chromebook and work mobile
● Value-driven culture
At SPACE, we work with young people and are fully committed to ensuring their safeguarding and welfare is a priority at all times. As part of our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures, all of our employees, contractors and volunteers will be expected to comply. Upon a conditional offer of appointment being made, all employees will also be required to satisfy our pre-employment screening process which will include:
● An identity check (photo ID)
● Receipt of satisfactory references cover for 3 years to current
● Documentary evidence of right to work in the UK
● A satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
How to apply
Please read the job description and apply with your CV and supporting statement, describing your passion for this role even if you don’t feel you meet every point in the description.
If you’d like an informal discussion about the role, please contact Steve on 07764 326431 or for more information please visit www.spaceyouthservices.org.
To apply for this post please download and complete the attached supporting statement and return
along with your CV either via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting to DYS Space Ltd, 100
Club, Wear Barton Road, Exeter, Devon EX2 7EH
Interview Date: 20th February 2023 (at The Hive Youth Centre, Exmouth)
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationEast DevonDevon
- Occupational GroupYouth & Community
- Salary Details
JNC scale points 3 to 4: £5,120 - £5,204 (actual salary)
- Job TermFixed
- Appointment TypePart Time
10 hours per week (2 evening sessions)
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required