Are you an experienced Team Manager looking for a new challenge? Are you passionate about making a real difference to the lives of children and young people? Then we would love to hear from you!
We’re seeking experienced Team Managers to support our children and young people in North Devon. Our Team Managers make a vital contribution to the delivery of high-quality social care services. This is a great opportunity to grow your social work career with an ambitious authority at a time of exciting change. We’re embedding our new restorative practice approach across our teams and making significant investment in training our all practitioners and managers to build, maintain and repair relationships with our children and families.
Whilst previous management experience is desired, we welcome applications from candidates looking to take the next step in their careers.
If you’re looking to move to Devon, subject to qualifying conditions, we offer a generous relocation allowance. There’s never been a better time to make the move!
About the role
Our Initial Response team is responsible for carrying out Child and Family Assessments and, when necessary, section 47 Child Protection enquiries to decide whether a child is in need of support from our Children and Families teams, requires protection or should be taken into care.
As a Team Manager, you will embed a high-performance culture by helping your team to continually develop their skills so they can achieve the best outcomes for our children, young people and their families. Through reflective supervision meetings with your team, you’ll champion their personal and professional growth. Alongside your role as a people manager, you will provide oversight on all children and young people in your defined area, ensuring quality standards are maintained and championing restorative practice, working with children, families and young people to reduce risks, build on strengths and achieve positive outcomes together. The Team Manager will support a team consisting of Assistant Team Managers, Social Workers, ASYE’s and Family Practitioners.
To find out more about working and living in North Devon, please view the attached Fact Sheet.
We are on an exciting and ambitious journey of cultural change to embed restorative and relational ways of working. We believe that for the vast majority of families, the family home is the best place by far for children to live, with local, place-based support that includes help and support at the earliest opportunity from us and our partners. By making key changes and improvements, we have made sure that our social workers have access to better tools and technology: from mobile phones and laptops, to risk assessment training and care planning resources. Together, we've worked hard to get to know individual children better - understanding who they are and their needs, so we can implement appropriate interventions. By ensuring families have the necessary support, we can prevent concerns from escalating. We’re really proud of our workforce, and what has been achieved for children and families in Devon. Our social work teams are committed to providing the best service possible and are supported by our ambitious culture. We are keen to learn, grow and improve and we’re looking for people who share our values to join us.
An outstanding social worker with a strong understanding of safeguarding, you will have significant post-qualifying experience gained within at least two different social care environments. You will need to have:
- a social work qualification and registered with Social Work England
- satisfactorily completed your Assessed and Supported Year in Employment (ASYE)
- experience of supervising and mentoring colleagues
- first-class interpersonal skills, to support the need to respond to complex social care issues
- a good understanding of managing complex children’s plans, including court work
- experience of leading and managing change within an organisational context
- demonstrable experience of promoting practice that improves outcomes for children, and an understanding of offering high support and high challenge to get the best out of your team.
What we can offer you
As a place to live and work, Devon is hard to beat. We want you to grow and develop with us. In recognition of the vital contribution you will make, we offer an attractive package including:
- Ongoing learning and development opportunities through our Social Work Academy with dedicated support from our Restorative Practice Leads, as well as Research in Practice membership and full access to Devon Children and Families Safeguarding training programme.
- Dedicated support with regular supervision from line management so you can critically reflect on your practice on a regular basis. Group supervisions are also offered, allowing you to learn from your colleagues and grow the strength of your social work practice together.
- Continuing Professional Development Days in line with your personal Learning and Development Plan.
- Individual career assessments and support plans which are completed through the existing appraisal process and give you detailed plan to enable successful career progression. Secondments and opportunities are also available to help you progress in your career.
- 25 days paid annual leave per year, rising to 30 days with 5 years’ continuous service, plus bank holidays.
- Up to £2,000 retention payment per year, paid in two 6 monthly instalments for those who have been working as a Social Worker in either Permanency & Transition, Children & Families, Initial Response and Disabled Childrens Service for a period of 6 months (pro rata for part time employees).
- Paid Professional Re-registration Fees.
- Relocation allowance in accordance with policy (T&Cs apply).
- Access to our confidential Devon Wellbeing Hub and Employee Assistance Programme to support you to balance the demands of everyday life – available 24/7.
- Flexible working opportunities, including part-time, flexi-time and a degree of remote working (subject to the needs of the role - please discuss at interview).
- Excellent Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS).
- Links to staff networks and forums such as our LGBTQ+, BAME and Staff Diversity support networks.
- Cycle to Work Scheme.
- Devon Discounts Scheme which offers a variety of great savings.
To start your journey with DCC, click ‘Apply’ today! You will find a link attached to our Job Description. To arrange an informal discussion, please email CSWrecruitment@devon.gov.uk.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationNorth DevonDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupSocial Care & Health
- Salary Details
£44,624 - £48,678 per annum pro rata
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 Hours Per Week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required