Duration: One year, full time position with potential to extend for another year.
Start Date: As soon as possible after the interview
Employer: University of Exeter (under their Graduate Business Partnership scheme) and seconded to Devon County Council.
Location: County Hall, Exeter. You will be expected to attend meetings and workshops across Devon as well as spending at least two days a week in the office.
Eligibility: Applicants must have graduated from a UK University within the last 3 years (undergraduate, Masters or PhD). .
This is an exciting opportunity for a recent graduate who is passionate about using their communication and engagement skills to help tackle Devon’s Ecological Emergency. We are looking for an enthusiastic, creative and confident individual with strong written and verbal communication skills to join Devon County Council’s Natural Environment team based in Exeter.
An immediate priority for this post is to help us to develop and publish the statutory Local Nature Recovery Strategy for Devon. This will set out the priorities and actions needed to restore Devon’s wildlife. If the Strategy is going to make a difference it is essential that it is developed in collaboration with a wide range of partners and that it is plain English, visual, inspirational and useful. We need your help to make this happen!
The successful candidate will also provide communication and engagement support for the Devon Local Nature Partnership and potentially for the Exe Estuary Partnership and Devon Maritime Forum.
You will get the opportunity to work directly with a huge range of partners including wildlife experts, government and delivery sectors e.g. farming, community, infrastructure, fishing, forestry, education, health. You will gain an overview of all issues relating to nature recovery across a huge, beautiful and diverse county with two coasts, two National Parks and five National Landscapes.
You will be responsible for:
• Developing and implementing Communication and Stakeholder Engagement Plans.
• Creating written content and graphics for social media, websites, press releases and newsletters.
• Dealing with enquiries.
• Working with the web designer and copy writer to develop a website for the Local Nature Recovery Strategy.
• Updating existing websites.
• Organising/supporting conferences, workshops, meetings and webinars.
• Leading the Devon LNP Communications Working Group.
• Supporting LNP initiatives and campaigns such as Naturally Healthy May, Devon Invasive Species Initiative, Devon Dark Skies Week.
• Researching topics as needed.
• Administrative duties e.g. maintaining stakeholder engagement spreadsheets.
• Supporting the teams as needed with other tasks.
You will need:
• A relevant degree.
• A genuine passion for communication and the UK’s natural environment.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong organisational skills and experience of organising events and webinars.
• People skills – the ability to work confidently with a wide range of people.
• Ability to work on multiple tasks and deal with changing priorities.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Self- motivation and the ability to work independently - but also thriving as part of a team.
• Experience of using social media and Microsoft Office
• To be able to carry out the duties of the post with reasonable adjustments where necessary
If you have any questions about the post contact: email@example.com (County Ecologist)
We’d love it if you also have:
• Experience with Wordpress and working with developers to build bespoke websites
• Graphic design skills, with knowledge and experience of Canva or Adobe Suite
• Experience of creating short video clips, photography skills.
If you have questions around the application process contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Interview Date: Thursday 29th February (potentially in person in Exeter – to be confirmed).
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEnvironment, Conservation & Waste
- Salary Details
£25,007 per annum
- Job TermFixed
- Appointment TypeFull Time
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required