Devon County Council is looking for a dedicated and conscientious individual to join the Network Operations team as a shift watchkeeper in their recently constructed 24/7 Network Operations Control Centre (NOCC).
The role will support the authority in discharging its Network Management Duty across Devon’s extensive highway network, ensuring that the safety and progress of its highway users is considered by identifying, recording and responding to all network incidents, including congestion and weather related events.
Efficiently working with emergency services, multi-agency partners and the wider council authority in a dynamic and often fast-paced environment. Knowledge of the highway environment, geography, weather and local government would be desirable however, customer service, incident resolution, problem solving, IT, and administrative skills are essential.
The role will also require the individual to monitor and manage intelligent traffic, weather and CCTV Systems, interpret weather information and pro-actively utilise web-based applications in order to support day to day activity and winter action.
The role is varied and the successful candidate will need wide ranging skills at their disposal when liaising with a variety of external agencies, such as, the emergency services, weather forecasters, Environment Agency, Highways Contractors.
The role will include out of hours lone working and at times involve high pressured, sensitive situations, when your personal qualities would need to be self-motivated, capable under pressure, well organised and be confident to follow standing procedures and use initiative during major incidents.
You will also need to possess a strong team ethos to support the wider Network Operations teams during normal working. You will be required to obtain an SIA CCTV licence, which will involve a DBS check, and police vetting.
We are looking to fill one permanent vacancy.
If you require any further information, in relation to the post, please do not hesitate to contact Jen Murphy or Andy Cole on 01392 383000.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- This role requires a DBS disclosure.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupHighways, Transport & Traffic
- Salary Details
£26,357 - £29,439 per annum plus 30% enhancement to take into account all weekend, night, Bank/Public Holiday and Extra Statutory Day working.
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours (per 10 week roster)
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required