Schedule: Can work hours flexibly. There may be times when needed on site at particular times.
Experience: Maintenance (preferred)
Full Job Description
Main Purpose of Job:
You will play an important role in the daily life of the school ensuring the learning environment is safe and fully operational for staff and students.
Main Responsibilities and Duties:
• General maintenance across the school site;
• Check for, and make safe, any damage on a daily basis. Report higher level damage to the Headteacher / Senior Administrator to include graffiti, damage and vandalism;
• Source contractors when necessary and liaise with the Senior Administrator;
• Be aware of relevant Health and Safety legislation and comply with its requirements in all aspects of the work. Where required, training will be provided;
• Daily/weekly/monthly health and safety inspections;
• Overall cleanliness of the external areas of the school site;
• Moving of classroom and office furniture;
• Taking meter readings;
• Delivery of orders to relevant staff members;
• Stock checking and ordering of materials when required;
• Undertaking any reasonable request to ensure the smooth running of the school.
Facts and Figures:
Approximately 420 students on site. Routine work within defined procedures, no direct supervision of staff.
• Problem Solving and Creativity: usually works to a known flexible routine. There will be frequent interruptions which often need urgent attention, e.g. Health & Safety issues, deliveries.
• Decision Making: will make routine decisions but will refer costly resolutions to senior staff. Works within well-known boundaries e.g. Health & Safety and COSSH legislation;
• Physical Effort and Working Conditions: spends majority of time on feet. Frequent physical effort required to move equipment, deliveries and furniture. Outside work in variable conditions. At times, required to deal with unpleasant cleaning tasks e.g. cleaning blocked toilets. At times required to deal with hazardous tasks e.g. broken glass;
• Contacts and Relationships: students, staff and public during working hours. Deal with contractors and suppliers, providing information and discussing maintenance requirements;
• Additional Information: holidays may be occasionally taken in term time in line with school requirements and after negotiation with senior staff;
• Knowledge, Skills and Experience: good level of general education. Knowledge of Health & Safety regulations, manual handling techniques and security requirements. Previous experiences of manual labour would be beneficial.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Please download the application form below and, once completed, return to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply by 1pm on the closing date.
Interview Date: 11 July 2022
- OrganisationDevon County Schools
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupManual (Caretaking/Cleaning/Driving/Catering/
- Salary Details
£11.70 per hour
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypePart Time
10 hours per week, 46 weeks per annum
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required