Required to start as soon as possible.
Shebbear College is a small independent day and boarding school of around 300 pupils, for boys and girls aged from 4 - 18. Set in 85-acres of countryside between Dartmoor and Exmoor, it is an idyllic location in which to work. There are a wide range of buildings including boarding houses, domestic properties and sports facilities.
The maintenance and grounds department are managed by the Head of Maintenance and consists of a team of staff encompassing various trades. In addition to everyday repairs, the department undertake minor building works, improvements, refurbishment, cleaning of school vehicles and looking after the grounds which include the sports pitches. This is a busy department and one within which everyone is expected to have a flexible attitude to their work and be prepared to work on their own or as part of the team.
A cheerful and co-operative attitude is essential. Some of the work may include access to private and boarding accommodation and sensitivity and discretion are necessary qualities.
The Maintenance Assistant will be directly responsible to the Head of Maintenance. This is a broad role and will encompass undertaking general maintenance and repairs as well as assisting the multi trade team including grounds across the campus.
Overall duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• General day to day maintenance;
• Assisting the trade team with jobs and projects;
• Cleaning school vehicles;
• Working with the grounds team;
• Any other tasks reasonably required as part of the multi skilled maintenance team;
• Adhere to Health & Safety procedures and maintain professional standards in accordance with the School’s Safeguarding and Staff Code of Conduct.
Qualifications, skills, attributes and experience
• Physically fit and comfortable working at height;
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team;
• Be able to work accurately and to a good standard;
• Have an appreciation for attention to detail;
• Numerate and basic writing skills;
• Competent communicator with a flexible and professional approach.
• Experience in carrying out general maintenance and grounds works;
• First Aid qualification;
• Full driving licence.
Terms and conditions
Holidays: The holiday entitlement is 20 days plus bank holidays.
• Free lunch and refreshments during term time;
• Free parking;
• Free use of Fitness Suite at certain times;
• Access to the Health and Wellbeing Centre during term time.
PLEASE NOTE: Shebbear College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young adults and expects all staff to share this commitment including regular training attendance.
The successful applicant will be offered the post subject to receipt of satisfactory written references, proof of appropriate qualifications, proof of identity, a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure from the Disclosure and Barring Service, an overseas police check, if required, and confirmation of the right to work in the UK. Please refer to the Recruitment Selection and Disclosures Policy and Procedure on the school website.
Further details about the school and an application form are available at www.shebbearcollege.co.uk/jobs.
Your completed application form (please ensure that your referees include your current or most recent employer) should be returned to the HR Department, preferably by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or, alternatively, by post to HR Department, Shebbear College, Shebbear, Devon EX21 5HJ.
We do not accept CVs. No agencies please.
Please apply by noon on the closing date.
Early application advised. The school reserves the right to commence or complete the recruitment process at any time prior to the closing date.
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationDevonTorridge
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupManual (Caretaking/Cleaning/Driving/Catering/
- Salary Details
Dependent on skills and experience
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
40 hours per week (8.15am - 5pm, Monday - Friday), 52 weeks per annum
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required