We have an exciting opportunity for an ambitious social worker to join the Forensic Social Work Team based at Langdon Hospital near Dawlish.
Langdon Hospital supports men from the South West area of England who, as a consequence of their mental health needs, have had contact with the legal system and require a safe and secure environment that enables them to receive a wide range of treatments, therapies and care to assist in their recovery. People staying with Langdon may have medium secure, low secure or open accommodation.
Forensic social workers are a core members of the multi-disciplinary team within the hospital. They bring a social and family perspective to inpatient services working with both families and carers as well as liaising with outside agencies within the criminal justice framework.
They bring an awareness of the social context and contribute to the holistic assessment of the individual’s needs and incorporate the principles of equality and human rights. The need to balance public protection and the rights of the individual patient is the cornerstone of all good forensic social work practice.
We want to attract and retain talented people who share a vision to have an inclusive society where the importance of mental health and wellbeing is universally understood and valued.
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a forward looking, developing service committed to working in a strengths based way to ensure that all the needs of the patient are addressed; both to aid recovery and especially to ensure that they make progress to an environment that will promote rather than undermine their general health and well-being.
You will need to have good risk assessment and report writing skills, knowledge and skills to negotiate various legal interfaces and an ability to work with service users, families and partner agencies. Previous work in mental health services is desirable but not essential as there are transferable skills and the team have a background in a variety of social work roles including Children’s Social Work.
Training is available and a comprehensive induction.
This opportunity offers a caseload within an inpatient setting, dynamic multidisciplinary working and a beautiful setting with great facilities.
What we can offer you
- We are committed to your continuous professional development, doing all we can to help you to get the most from your career. You will receive excellent support and supervision, with regular opportunities to discuss and reflect on your practice, both with your line manager and peers.
- We offer 25 days annual leave, plus Bank Holidays, rising incrementally to 30 days after 5 years’ service.
- Flexible working opportunitiesare available, these include part-time hours, flexitime, compressed working hours and homeworking (this is subject to the needs of the role – please discuss at further at interview)
- Offer an opportunity to enter a generous Local Government Pension Scheme.
- As a place to live and work, Devon is hard to beat with top-performing schools, universities, vibrant cities, pretty villages and some of the most scenic coast and countryside in the UK. Living and working in Devon as an Social Worker has never been more attractive.
- If you are looking to make the move to Devon, subject to qualifying conditions, relocation support of up to £10,000, may be available.
Visit also: www.devonpartnership.nhs.uk
For an informal discussion please ring Georgina Adams 07891570387
Please note Devon County Council is not currently offering VISA sponsorship for this role. We will only consider applicants with valid Right to Work in the UK.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupSocial Care & Health
- Salary Details
£33,486 - £37,568 per annum (pending the 2022/23 pay award)
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required