It is an exciting time to join Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service, the largest non-metropolitan fire and rescue service in the UK. Fire and Rescue Services are changing, and we are no exception.
Our role goes far beyond fighting fires and we are continually looking for ways to build on our effectiveness and efficiency to share our important prevention and safety messages, encouraging behaviour change and keeping our communities safe.
As an Education Advocate, you will have a key role within the Community Safety Education Team, delivering our Prevention Education Programmes to children and young people in the schools across our Service area, including special schools and alternative education providers.
There will also be the opportunity to support and deliver our Risk Reduction Interventions in collaboration with other Service departments and teams and our partner agencies.
Successful candidates will be offered a Casual Agreement, to undertake this work on an ad-hoc basis.
As a member of the Education and School Engagement Team, the ideal Enhanced Community Safety Education Advocate will have the following:
• Practical experience of working with Children and Young People;
• An understanding of current legislation and guidance relating to working with Children and Young People;
• A desire to influence positive change and share our Service prevention and safety messages through our work with education providers and children and young people;
• Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be able to personalise and differentiate delivery, to suit circumstance and audience needs;
• Be able to prioritise and manage your work time and work schedule;
• Enthusiasm, self-motivation and adaptability;
• A people-centred approach with regards to all aspects of your work;
• A robust knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
• A commitment to self-evaluation, ongoing personal development and learning;
• Availability to work during term time and school hours;
• A current driving licence and able to travel.
As a Service and as individuals:
• We are proud to help
• We are respectful
• We are honest
• We are working together
If you would like to find out more about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01392 872394 to speak to our Education and School Engagement Officer.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share this commitment. Due to the sensitive nature of these positions, applicants who are successful at shortlisting will be required to declare any criminal convictions, cautions, reprimands and final warnings, including those that would be considered 'spent' within the terms of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, for other purposes, and any other relevant information relating to police enquiries. This position is exempt from the Act by virtue of the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (as amended). An Enhanced Disclosure & Barring (DBS) check will be sought in the event of a successful application, and will be renewed every three years. In addition, each applicant will be required to undertake a safer recruitment interview and, if successful, attend specific training for the post of Enhanced Community Safety Education Advocate.
Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service recognise and celebrate the vast diversity of the local communities that we serve and aspire for this to be reflected within our workforce. We encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, experience and beliefs, who share our values, to consider working for us.
If you would like to be considered for this post, please apply and complete an application and submit your CV.
Please note that as part of our Safer Recruitment Process, your CV will need to cover your full employment history, and you will be asked to provide an explanation for any gaps in employment.
If you are an internal applicant, please note the following:
In line with the Working Time Directive and the ability to fulfil the requirement of the role, you will only be shortlisted if you have Line Manager approval of your application and are able to conduct this type of work without affecting existing contractual obligations.