Fixed term until 30th June 2025
Internal DCC Emplyees only - open to secondments
Sitting within the Economy Enterprise and Skills team and linking to the Council’s Environment Group and the Devon Carbon Plan actions, this fixed term role will work with a Team Manager to deliver the Fast Followers programme, externally funded by Innovate UK, part of UK Research and Innovation (UKRI). The Programme is designed to help places and businesses across the UK to accelerate the transition to Net Zero. Innovation is key to achieving net zero this goal and the role, working alongside others and procured work, will strengthen the Devon economy through stimulating business growth and unlocking the economic potential of some of our disadvantaged areas, linking to the Corporate Strategic Plan.
The postholder will be managed by a Team Manager in the Economic Infrastructure and Strategic Intelligence team. They will work with other IUK Net Zero Living Places projects to attract more "green finance" into the county, adapting innovations and best practice from other authorities for our rural economy profile, supporting communities to develop their own energy infrastructure and encourage financial incentives and regulations to encourage new economic activities. The post holder and manager will also contract manage procured work packages to deliver green finance delivery vehicles.
The officer, project team and procured consultant will lead on innovations in green finance, by co-developing investment playbooks and delivery vehicles with identified net zero opportunities in Devon. The project will develop investment capability and investment grade audits for key locations. It will promote knowledge exchange with SMEs and interns to move businesses along technology readiness and investment readiness levels. By using innovation it aims to unlock new resources and deliver on the net zero actions identified by the project team, including community municipal investments.
The project team will deliver of a broad range of economic priorities identified in the council’s strategy for growth and corporate strategic plan. The scope of the post includes working in the following areas:
Support and lead the development of strategies and the implementation of action plans to achieve sustainable economic growth that supports Devon.
Undertake research to improve the understanding of the key drivers of Devon’s economic performance.
Work in a team to deliver strategic county-wide initiatives and projects to support the delivery of the Council’s strategic plan.
Promote a spirit of enterprise, innovation and competitiveness to raise the profile of a county as a destination of choice to live, work, invest, learn, and visit.
Maximise leverage of external funding, partner organisation contributions and private sector funding to deliver strategic priorities, including developing and implementing innovative financial mechanisms.
Develop, lead, and actively engage with a number of key partnerships, locally, regionally and internationally, to further sustainable economic growth.
Work in a team delivering innovations in financing and knowledge transfer models to unlock additional benefits, creating an innovative financing system for sustainable, self-funding future schemes.
This work will contribute to the delivery of the following corporate priorities; Support sustainable economic growth; Respond to the climate emergency and longer term Improve health and wellbeing.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working - The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.