Ecologist / Senior Ecologist (Ref 4891)
- Multiple Locations
- Full Time
- Grade E £26,357 - £29,439 (Ecologist grade) or Grade F £31,099 - £34,723 (Snr Ecologist grade)
Salary: Ecologist Grade E: £26,357 - £29,439 or Senior Ecologist Grade F: £31,099 - £34,723. The successful applicant will be appointed at either Ecologist or Senior Ecologist grade based on experience and skills.
Help protect and restore nature across one of the most beautiful and varied counties in England!
Devon County Council is looking to appoint an enthusiastic and experienced Ecologist to join its Ecology Team. The team sits within the Council’s interdisciplinary Environment Group based at County Hall in Exeter.
This successful candidate will have the opportunity to work across a variety of workstreams including:
- Provision of specialist advice on infrastructure schemes, planning applications and Local Plans. This will include: quarry restoration, green infrastructure strategies, protected species, HRA, site visits and compliance monitoring, BNG and developing Guidance Notes. The Ecology team provides advice to Devon District Councils, Torbay Council and Dartmoor National Park.
- Provision of specialist ecological advice within Devon County Council including to County Farms, Highways (working with communities on Life on the Verge), the Flood Team and to infrastructure schemes.
- Work with a wide range of partners to help develop the Devon Local Nature Recovery Strategy and coordinate Devon Local Nature Partnership initiatives such as Devon Dark Skies and Devon Invasive Species Initiative.
- Input to a wide range of partnerships and initiatives across the county as needed e.g. Devon Biodiversity Records Centre, Protected Landscapes/North Devon Biosphere Reserve and the Devon and Dorset Dormouse Strategy.
The successful candidate will have knowledge and experience of nature conservation in the UK including habitats and species (bat and dormouse licenses would be an advantage), legislation and policy, survey and impact assessments and mitigation. Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential along with a proactive approach, the ability to prioritise and an enthusiasm for working with a wide range of partners .
The post is offered on a full-time basis, but flexible working arrangements can be discussed. Site visits across Devon and a weekly presence in the office in Exeter will be required.
For more information (including benefits for working for DCC such as local government pension, holidays, flexible working arrangements) please see Working for Devon. Note that as the successful candidate could be appointed at either Ecologist or Senior Ecologist level that there are two Job Descriptions. Altough these are very similar please focus your application on the JD which you feel is most suited to your experience and skills.
Closing date: Monday 19th June
Interview date on Teams: Tuesday 27th June
For an informal discussion please contact Sarah Jennings, County Ecologist on email@example.com or 07967 456361.
Please click Apply Now to see the Job Descriptions for each grade.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working -The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEnvironment, Conservation & Waste
- Salary Details
Grade E £26,357 - £29,439 (Ecologist grade) or Grade F £31,099 - £34,723 (Snr Ecologist grade)
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required