There are 18 schools within The Dartmoor Multi Academy Trust, 1 special, 3 secondary and 14 primary schools.
On appointment, your main place of work will be at Okehampton College, but you may be required to work at any other premises occupied by the Employer or any of the Employer’s Academies within Devon as directed by the Employer.
This job description is not a comprehensive definition of the post. Discussions will take place on a regular basis to clarify individual responsibilities within the general framework and character of the post as identified below.
The main purpose of the job is to work under the guidance of the teaching/senior staff and within an agreed system of supervision.
To supervise whole classes during the short-term absence of teachers and to respond to questions and generally assist pupils in undertaking set activities when fulfilling this supervisory role.
To provide classroom support for teachers, exam invigilation, library and undertake administrative duties as directed by the Line Manager.
Main duties and responsibilities:
To support the assigned teacher of the class by:
• Supervising classes during pre-planned learning activities, which have been set in accordance with the college policy i.e. tasks that are relevant to the age group and point reached in the curriculum to assist with continuity;
• Collecting finished work as necessary and returning it to the appropriate teacher;
• Promoting positive values, attitudes and good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with college policy and encouraging pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour;
• Reporting, as appropriate, using the college’s agreed referral procedures on the behaviour of pupils during the class, and any issues arising;
• Administering routine tests, invigilating exams and undertaking routine marking of pupils’ work;
• Providing clerical/administrative support e.g. photocopying, typing, filing, administration of course work etc.
To support students by:
• Responding to students’ questions and providing general guidance or advice about process and procedures;
• Establishing productive working relationships with students, acting as a role model and setting high expectations for behaviour;
• Promoting the inclusion and acceptance of all students within the classroom;
• Promoting independent learning where appropriate;
• Working consistently whilst recognising and responding to individual student needs;
• Encouraging pupils to interact and work co-operatively with others;
• Promoting independence and employing strategies to recognise and reward achievement of self-reliance.
Support the Curriculum by:
• Helping students to access pre-planned learning activities;
• Ensuring that any pre-determined equipment and resources are available to students.
Support the College by:
• Being aware of, and complying with, college policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, and reporting all concerns to the appropriate person;
• Being aware of, and supporting, difference and ensuring all students have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop;
• Contributing to the overall ethos/work/aims of the college.
You should note that a duty of confidentiality applies to all personal data they see prior to their first day of employment (for example, pupil lists for the purposes of lesson planning or other activities to support teaching and learning). This reflects the custom and practice of teachers’ contracts of employment starting on the first day of term while recognising the need to be aware of, and plan to support, pupil needs.
All schools in Dartmoor Multi Academy Trust are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
The successful candidate will be required to undertake an Enhanced Disclosure via the Disclosure Barring Service (DBS).
For further information and to apply for this post, please visit www.dartmoormat.org.uk (Vacancies page).
- OrganisationOther Organisations
- Work LocationWest DevonDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupEducation Support
- Salary Details
Grade D £22,369 per annum pro rata
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull TimeTerm Time
35 hours per week, 39 weeks per annum (term time plus non-pupil days)
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required