If you like being out and about in the fresh air, in a work environment where no two days are the same, like helping the public, have great communication skills and are self-motivated then this could be the job for you.
Salary starting from £22,369 (£11.59 per hour) plus enhancements for evenings, weekends and bank holidays, which could offer a competitive starting salary of up to £25,100 working full time hours (37 hours per week). After developing your skills your salary will increase annually.
We are also able to offer part time roles and seasonal full-time roles covering our busiest visitor months (from April until the end of September).
No previous experience is necessary. What we do ask is you to have a can-do attitude, good judgement skills, enjoy meeting and talking to new people, a sense of fairness and good eye for detail. If you have these qualities, we can provide full and comprehensive training package to carry out the role to the very best of your abilities.
Though you will be part of a fully supported team who you will have direct communications with throughout the day, generally you will be patrolling by yourself, on foot or in a vehicle. You will need to be resilient and comfortable with working on your own initiative. When on foot, you will cover a few miles each day, so you need to have a reasonable level of fitness.
You will find yourself in regular contact with members of the public who will be asking for your help with many different questions. A commitment to providing great customer service and good communication skills are essential.
We are currently recruiting Civil Enforcement Officers due to a growing service and customer demand to be based at either Exeter, Kingsteignton or Barnstaple.
Our Civil Enforcement Officers are the eyes and ears of the local community, patrolling areas, providing advice to residents and members of the public whilst enforcing road traffic orders.
You will be joining a dedicated and highly professional team who help to keep traffic flowing across Devon and supporting the local economy. You will play a significant role in reducing congestion and improving the air quality through the enforcement of parking restrictions.
As one of our Parking Enforcement Officers you will:
- Enforce the parking restrictions on the roads and in the off-street car parks, to reduce dangerous and inconsiderate parking.
- Provide information to the public on parking regulations and appropriate parking facilities within your area.
- Report defective signs and road markings.
- Issue Penalty Charge Notices to contravening vehicles gathering evidence through written notes and photographs using a handheld computer.
- Work on a 3 week rota system.
You will need:-
- to enjoy dealing with people, be friendly, polite, and willing to offer support, advice and assistance to colleagues and customers.
- to have current full manual driving licence as you will be driving company vehicles.
- Secondary school qualifications to include Maths and English
- Basic computer and smart phone skills as you will be using a handheld device daily.
- Excellent communication skills
In return for your hard work, we can offer you:-
- Paid Holiday from 25 days and bank holidays (annualised in hours and pro rata for part time). After 5yrs continuous service additional 5 days leave.
- Bank holidays paid at double time
- Weekend enhancements, Saturdays paid at time and half, Sundays paid at double time.
- Overtime available and paid at time and half
- Flexible Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- A full uniform, including footwear provided
- Employee Assistance Programme 24/7, providing positive, preventative, and supportive advice and counselling to deal with everyday events and issues
- Devon Discounts – providing money saving offers, discounts, and deals for Devon County Council employees. Discounts with local businesses and high street retailers.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Relocation allowance where applicable and subject to terms and conditions
Due to the length of time this vacancy is open, all successful applicants will be interviewed regularly and not have to wait until the closing date.
Before applying, please read the job description and person specification for the role and please indicate which base/bases you are applying for.
If you’d like to have a chat about the role or have some question’s you’d like answering, please contact Jamie Fitzpatrick on 01392 385049 or e-mail CPERecruitment@devon.gov.uk
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page.
- This role requires a DBS disclosure.
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterNorth DevonTeignbridgeDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupHighways, Transport & Traffic
- Salary Details
£22,369 - £24,496 per annum, pro rata
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull TimePart Time
Up to 37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required