Devon County Council is seeking to appoint an School Admissions Officer. The successful candidate will be hardworking, self-motivated and enjoy working in a team as well as under their own initiative. Previous experience of working within the education sector would be an advantage.
This role is key in supporting Devon County Council’s services to its residents, making this a fast paced and varied work environment to keep up with demands.
We offer a supportive and stimulating working environment. You will be encouraged to think creatively and drive improvement. Our benefits include a competitive salary, flexible working including remote/hybrid working, an attractive pension scheme, a staff discount scheme, and a minimum 26 days annual leave (plus bank holidays).
What skills & qualities we need from you?:
- Able to use a laptop (TEAMS/Outlook/Calendars/Microsoft Edge/Excel/Word). Basic Training will be provided.
- Positive & enthusiastic attitude towards learning and supporting your colleagues.
- Sense of humour.
- Experience of working with schools.
- Good communication skills & the ability to build good working relationships with team members and wider colleagues.
- Ability to plan workload for the day and be adaptable when Service needs might change.
- Ability to think on your feet and work with colleagues to resolve problems.
- Remain calm and resilient under pressure.
What key tasks/responsibilities will the role involve:
- You will be using a laptop and various internal systems and Microsoft packages to conduct your role.
- You will be working in an ‘agile’ way – some home working and some office-based work.
- Drafting & responding to emails.
- Processing applications for school places
- preparing casework to submit to panel meetings
- Inputting data into spreadsheet/word documents.
- Inputting and validating application forms, ensuring data is input in a timely and accurate way.
- Dealing with members of the public (telephone and face to face)
- You will be the point of contact for schools
- You will be working as part of a small team with responsibility for a geographical area of Devon.
If you would like to have an informal discussion about the post, please contact Neil Keen, Admissions Manager or Katie Pateman on 01392 383000
Interview Date: w/c 9th October
Please click Apply Now to see the Job Description.
- DCC embraces the positive benefits of a diverse workforce and is committed to providing an environment that is inclusive and safe. We welcome applications from people who share our commitment to stop discrimination, challenge inequality and promote diversity across Devon. More information can be found on our Equality and Diversity webpages.
- Happy to Talk Flexible Working - The Council offers flexible working arrangements in terms of when and where people work e.g. hybrid working, part-time, condensed hours etc.
- We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
- This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
- Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
- For more information about Working for Devon please visit our Working for Devon page. Start editing
- OrganisationDevon County Council
- Work LocationExeterDevon
- Work Postcode
- Occupational GroupAdministrative, Secretarial & Office Support
- Salary Details
£22,777 - £24,496 per annum
- Job TermPermanent
- Appointment TypeFull Time
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required