Full time – 37 hours per week
An opportunity has arisen for a qualified and dedicated Best Interests Assessor to join the central Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DoLS) Service. With the Liberty Protection Safeguards due to come into force in April 2022 this post offers the right candidate an opportunity to be involved in this new and developing legislation as the role transitions from Best Interests Assessor to that of the new Approved Mental Capacity Professional (AMCP).
This is an exciting opportunity to join a supportive and dynamic team, as well as developing your skills and applied knowledge of the Mental Capacity Act, and the Liberty Protection Safeguards as the service changes and adapts to the new legal framework.
About the role:
Our dedicated Assessors undertake a range of tasks within the central team which include but is not limited to; carrying out complex Best Interest Assessments to a high standard, preparing assessment and documents requested by the Court of Protection, and providing support and advice regarding deprivation of liberty and the Mental Capacity Act.
The role will require travel throughout Devon and on occasion out of area.
You must be a registered Social Worker who has successfully completed your Best Interests Assessor training.
We are looking for a committed, enthusiastic, and reflective practitioner. Someone who:
- Has excellent written and verbal communication skills and a practical, calm, and creative approach to problem solving and the ability to prioritise a busy workload.
- Has experience of completing complex work with an ability to formally record assessments to a high professional standard likely to withstand legal scrutiny, demonstrating the ability to analyse and evaluate complex information.
- Will be equally at ease working autonomously and as part of a team and recognises when to seek support.
- Has a detailed knowledge and understanding of the Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards and knowledge of current case law.
- Can demonstrate a commitment to ensuring Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards legislation is applied.
- Can demonstrate knowledge of the new Liberty Protection Safeguards due to replace the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards in April 2022
In addition, the role requires travelling significant distances, in a rural environment where public transport may not be available. As an essential car user role, it is a requirement to hold a current full driving license and have access to a vehicle.
What we can offer to you:
As a place to live and work, Devon is hard to beat with top-performing schools, universities, vibrant cities, pretty villages and some of the most scenic coast and countryside in the UK. Living and working as a Best Interests Assessor in Devon has never been more attractive.
We are a well-established team offering excellent support and supervision, with regular opportunities to discuss and reflect on your practice, both with your line manager and your peers.
We are committed to continuous professional development, doing all we can to help you to get the most from your career.
Flexible working arrangements may be considered.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role is subject to Disqualification from Caring for Children (England) Regulations 2002 check.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice.
Information about Working for Devon..
Devon County Council
- Work Location
- Work Postcode
- Occupational Group
Social Care & Health
- Salary Details
32,910 - 36,922 per annum
- Job Term
- Appointment Type
37 hours per week
- Closing Date
- DBS Check Required