Advice For Job Seekers
Are you looking for a new job or thinking about a change in career? It can be daunting to know where to start. But fear not we have pulled together our top tips from our team of experienced recruiters to help.
- Start with self-assessment. What are your values, interests, skills and experience.
- Take some time to think about what your dream job is, what type of company you want to work for (or run!), what industry, location, benefits, salary, training and career opportunities you would expect.
- Plan. Looking for a new job is essentially a project and you will need to dedicate time regularly to job searching. A quick google or flick through a jobs board is not going to land you your dream job. Don’t forget you also need time for preparing applications, reviewing your CV and personal development.
- Can you enrol on any courses or undertake any development opportunities to make you stand out from the crowd?
- Be prepared to tailor you application to the job you are applying for, one size does not fit all!
- Don’t forget your transferable skills. So you don’t have an NVQ 5 in Leadership and Management, but you do have 5 years’ experience working as the organiser of volunteer events in the community where you had to lead a team, be adaptable, problem solve and have strong communication skills.
- Be flexible. Can you work in a different location, consider a lower salary, sacrifice some of your requirements in the short term for longer term goals or development opportunities?
- Act promptly.
- Do your research before an interview. Check out the company values, mission statement and as much as you can.
- Follow up and get feedback. Always follow up on your application and ask for feedback from employers. Use their comments as an opportunity for growth and don’t take any criticism negatively.